April 15, 2008

Moving forward

Busy day yesterday.  We saw rehab, had an adventure to Costco and met with the Wound Care Center to talk about the hyperbaric chamber (HBO) therapy for the still open (and I mean open) surgical wound from September of 2007.

Rehab was good.  All we did was conduct the assessment, but I feel like we identified what we need to concentrate on, chiefly my left arm and fine motor skills in the left hand.  I go in for my first actual session on Friday morning, so there will still be time for a nap in the afternoon - we must keep our priorities straight, right?  

There is a downside to this as well, though, in that I will miss my visiting PT'S, Cathy and Candy.  I really looked forward to their visits, the workouts, our conversations and their company in particular.  Very professional and very compassionate, positive attitude from both. I will miss them, but I'm excited about ramping up my therapy at RISB.

Costco is always an adventure, so many tools and things, so little time.  Got some great fish some computer stuff, etc.  and I didn't get tired!  I think taking Keppra out of the picture as a part of my seizure control regimen really makes a difference.  It was making me really dopey (I heard that) and tired as well as making me irritable, as well; there are few things worse than a dopey, cranky headcase, ya know?

The HBO Clinic was very interesting and I think we're going to proceed down that path as long as we can get all docs to sign off on it.   There is an increased seizure risk in the highly oxygenated environment of the chamber, so I'm waiting to hear back from my neurologist to make sure he feels the treatments would be safe for me  and then we'll go ahead and schedule the sessions; there will be five sessions per week for a total of twenty, I think he said.  I'll get to catch up on my movies as the tube is clear, I'll be rolled in on a gurney and there is a DVD Player. Each  treatment will take about an hour and a half, that' three full episodes of Stooges.  

I'm scheduled for my next MRI this week, so we should have a good picture, literally, of a lot of the issues by the end of the week along with a course to pursue.  Many of you have asked about the chemo treatments; we should also have that answered, although my oncologist wants to continue with the Avastin and CPT-11 as it seems to be effective in growth control to date. 

I've decided that cancer is a waiting or awaiting game; you're always waiting for test results, opinions from consults,  the end of a treatment and for the beginning of the next and always, always, always awaiting the next sunrise.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom,
Finally had time to read your blogs! I think I can speak for Kathy as well, we're going to miss you and we will both be keeping tabs on you, your family and your progress!!! By the way, Kathy is the P.T. and I'm the O.T. Not that I'm sensitive about it or anything! Ha! Glad to hear you're off the Kepra and feeling better--now BACK TO WORK!!! Are you reaching for that remote with your left hand? I think Anne should tie your right hand behind you!
Take Care and as you said (and I'm stealing) Keep the rubber on the down side!!!
Sincerely,
Candy