April 25, 2008

Next steps

I started a new course of chemo yesterday, Carboplatin, after a week of waiting after hearing that the doctors think there may be a new spot in the right frontal lobe and collaborating on how best to deal with it.  My surgeon thought another biopsy would be best to identify what we are dealing with, which is the last thing I want at this point; nobody goes back into my head unless it's absolutely necessary, that really scares me for all of the possible temporary and possibly permanent physiological side effects.
A great nurse administered the treatment, Jen, who spent time at Dana Farber Cancer Institute working with brain tumor patients on treatments an trials. She was a wealth of knowledge and support as well as very compassionate, a great combination for a chemo nurse.  The treatment itself was fast after the labs came back; I slept well and am feeling fine today, expecting that not to change and if it does we'll deal with it. The only frustrating part of the day was finding out that my UCSF surgeon, Dr. Berger, will be unable to look at my MRI films until 5-8, I don't know why not, but that's the way it is due to delays on the local side in getting information to him in a timely manner.   Despite efforts to follow up with the various offices with the information, We can only advocate as strongly as we can and we then have to rely on their professionalism, which is lacking at times, but not usually, thankfully.   

So it's onward and upwards from here.  When and if it is determined that there is indeed an additional  spot, we'll deal with it; what else can we do but stay positive and focused on healing?

No comments: