January 2, 2008

3:00am?

Okay, this is ridiculous.  I mean waking up is great . . . but being awake enough to get up to blog?  You can't be serious?!  Why am I asking you?
Another treatment today after seeing my doc.  I report in at 10:00am and will probably be getting juiced until 2:00pm.  It could be a lot worse; my friend, Rick, has been in the hospital for his chemo treatment since last Friday, I think.  Hell of a way to bring in the new year.

Speaking of bringing in the new year, now that a few days have passed since New Year's Eve I suppose I can laugh about this.  Anne injured her left arm (thankfully she's a righty) a while back, then she re-injured  it again, and again.  She really did a number on it a few days ago to the point that she was grimacing . . . this from a woman who never admits to pain, unless it's describing living with me, which is completely understandable, of course.  So she goes to the doctor, ends up with her left arm in a sling and in more pain than childbirth, according to her, which I made it through with no problem - I don't understand all the fuss about that one.  Just kidding - please no hate mail, moms.

Anne picked up a couple of beautiful filets at Costco - best place for beef, by the way.  She also got green beans and potatoes - basically my favorite meal.  So Caitlyn got the George Foreman Grill down, one of the best gifts Anne ever bought for me/us, by the way.  I had dry rubbed the meat earlier (right after I marinated the steak - sorry - it's my blog; sue me).  And now the picture appears; my left hand is numb and can't grip a thing, basically.  Anne's left arm is killing her and she's taking her frustrations out about the Vicodin not working fast enough by freaking out on the fact that the heater is on with the bathroom window is open; totally unlike her.  The girls are both getting ready to get out of Dodge because they have parties to go to and because they can see that the night is going to be ugly ay home with the cripple twins trying to make a nice dinner with two functional arms between us.  

So the meat is cooking, the potatoes are cooking, the beans are cooking; thanks to the patented over and under fat-decreasing grills on the George Foreman Grill, the filet is cooking itself, basically.  Where's the champagne?  We got a very nice bottle of Chandon champagne for our anniversary . . . last March that I was not about to let stay bottled into 2008; I think that would've been bad luck for some reason and I wanted to drink some good champagne anyway.  Now picture this; the meat is done, rested and ready to be cut . . . but how to do that with a bad wing?  Like everything else Anne and I have successfully done to face this challenge; teamwork.  She forked the filet and I sliced.  No forks or knives necessary, fingers work fine.  Great food, great drink, great company, even through the pain and looking back now probably one of the most entertaining evenings to have had a hidden camera in the kitchen to replay later for laughs.

In a few hours I'll be hooked up to a different kind of elixir.  Not quite as fun or the same kind of buzz certainly, but hopefully just as good a vintage.




1 comment:

Tussilago said...

happy new year to you..and all the best wishes for the new year to bring you more of what you hope and dream for.
I found your blogg by chance, but ended up reading about your life and you thoughts...and beeing fascinated. I am smiling now;))