March 24, 2008

I don't want to jinx it, but . . . .

It's probably bad mojo to say it, but I remain amazed at our good fortune lately.  
I've managed to stay out of the hospital for almost two weeks now and we're totally psyched about Hawaii at the end of the week; yes, the end of the week.  This time next week I'll be cruising to the coffee shop near the hotel to pick up my cup of joe, then wading through the surf line (up to my knees only, I know) to enjoy the morning while Anne and the girls are sleeping in the hotel rooms. Then we'll line up for the buffet breakfast at Duke's by about 10:00am; now that's living!

The girls (Rachel included) were all in the kitchen last night talking about the trip, where they want to go eat and, most important, shop.  They really deserve this trip as they've been so brave through all that's been going on since September of last year.  Anne especially deserves her pink beer and Maui chips at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.  I don't know what I'd do without her.  There are not many people I know who could rise to the challenges she has had to face, both real and imagined, with the grace she has shown.  I'm hoping that we can get some quality time on this trip - I'm sure we will.

I spoke to my brother, Brian, yesterday and asked him to see if he could scare up a wheelchair for me, as my stamina is still not the best and I don't want to hold the girls back from walking around at night, etc.  I've been walking around our park quite a bit and it's getting better, but I still get tired fairly quickly, so the wheelchair will just make it that much easier.

Overall I'm feeling great.  I feel some fatigue most of the time and I sense some cognitive slowness, but it's lessening as the days pass and I become more active.  The physical slowness and little instability that remains is annoying, for certain, but I'm seeing that lessen as time passes.  I remain convinced that is one of the keys to a swift recovery, staying active.  I'm still napping each day, which is a good thing I guess; good that I'm able to do so.  

I know that we'll have a great time in Hawaii and I'm looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you buddy, Stay strong and enjoy your vacation.

Hugh

Anonymous said...

Tom,
Have a GREAT trip...and an extra cup--or two--of Joe on me...I'll reimburse you when you get back...I promise!! (ha-ha) -Silk