May 21, 2008

another tumor in the news . . . .

My condolences to the Kennedy's today; but I'd be lying if I said I was not, "glad," at the same time for how things turned out.  I knew when the news described the circumstances of the seizures that the Senator had a brain tumor, and probably a glioma of some sort, as it  just sounded too familiar to not be.while  I would not wish this on anyone if any body has to get it, let it be someone who is high profile and who will draw attention to it; ass we've seen so many times before, it often takes the high-profile cases to put the spotlight on the issue (such as in the case of Christopher Reeve with spinal cord injuries.  I am really conflicted about feeling this  way, but it seems that it takes a circumstance like this to bring attention to the more, "rare,"conditions such as brain  cancer.  It raises awareness and also helps  others similarly challenged in a way that news of Tom Whittaker's tumor never would or could.I know that good things will come from this terrible news and that is encouraging in the long run, in the short term if somehow the family reads this; you are not alone and active survival is a choice  I think I can speak for all brain cancer survivors when I express a  selfish hope for proactive advocacy on the senator's part.  reach out for help/hope from the cancer community and you will be taken care of.    Senator, God bless you and your family in these initial very  tough months ahead and good luck in your fight LONG TERM.

as for me, I'm feeling well, although I did fall a few times yesterday for no apparent reason other than just losing my balance; someday my tail bone will not be black an blue! there's a pretty thought, eh?  I've got at least another week of HBO, treatments I would think, but we do see positive signs of healing.

No comments: