November 22, 2007

Giving thanks

Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving!

Where to begin? How do we thank all of the people who have been there for us over the course of our journey with, through and beyond cancer? Especially over this past few months of difficult and frustrating recovery. Of course, none of you are looking for thanks and none would feel like they deserved it - it's just what we do for each other as friends and family; and therein lies the secret. We simply do it out of love.

I'm thankful for the perspective that cancer has given me.

I am especially grateful this year for the family relationships that have become stronger than ever before. For the opportunity to spend Thanksgiving with my niece, Megan, who will be flying in to wait on me in particular for the next couple of days . . . oh, did I forget to tell you that, Megs? Wear your running shoes, babe.

I'm so thankful for my team of doctors and other professionals and for the amount of time that their families have sacrificed due to their commitment to compassionate care for their patients.

I'm also thankful for the support that surrounds my daughters at school; and that extends to friends' parents, our extended family. I can't tell you how much you all mean to me. My biggest concern has always been that they are looked out for and made to feel like they are not in this alone and these angels have gone above and beyond in so many ways each day.

I would be terribly remiss if I did express my very deep gratitude and love for Miss Julie. You are absolutely the best thing that has happened to my daughters. Knowing that you are in their lives and that you care about them as deeply as you do is more comfort to me than I can express in words. You have provided the one constant, dance, that I'm very sure has saved them when they felt doubtful and scared. I don't believe I could find a better role model than you to demonstrate self-confidence, grace, and unselfish love. I also appreciate your family's welcoming of ours - sometimes I feel like our name should be Whittaker-Rubio-Shamblin!

Not to forget the Whittaker-Medels, another whole story in itself. When I was first diagnosed in 2001 an foundering in "what nows?" a voice came through at just the right time saying, "Let go and let God;" thank you for that, Andi. Ron, the afore mentioned Go to Guy for God, is a part of this group of of lovingly crazy people take care of us, feed us extremely well on occasions too humorous to mention, and who, no matter what time of day or night, would be there in a warm heartbeat to help. I have a special place in my heart for Albert, who I take great pride in now calling Papa.

I really did just set out to do a short blog today, honestly. Somehow there is no economy of words when it comes to love, and perhaps those terms are mutually exclusive by design. Give thanks and give love today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you could only cycle better than you write :) Thinking of you.