November 25, 2007

Uh, oh, we're going deep

I have often considered my own mortality over the past few years - no surprise, I guess, under the circumstances.

The one question that I keep asking myself is; "What happens to my memories when I die?" It may sound strange, but it has always been kind of a major concern to me, to be honest. Do I get to choose which ones to take or leave behind? Keep any? Do I get to relive them all at any time or will they be whirling around me in an endless, blissful haze throughout eternity? If so, will there be popcorn?
I'm not talking about what I said to so and so yesterday; I'm talking about remembering holding Caitlyn on that first blustery morning of her life, or looking into Kelsey's proud eyes the day she flew her first kite on her own. It breaks my heart to think I may have to leave those behind in some way.

I'm hoping that part of the disease progression, if it goes that way, does not include robbing me of those prior to my eventual demise. I hate to go there, but no denial allowed here - there's not much point in that.

Just in case I do get to bring them in some way, shape or form, I think it my be a good idea to keep the focus on making positive memories for me to look back on, and for those I will leave behind to hold on to.

No comments: