November 8, 2007

Team Players

Over the last few days, Anne and I have been doing a lot of thinking. It's often not clear what the appropriate course is for treatment; how aggressive or passive to be depends upon the possible outcomes presented; it comes down to who you trust. Not who you like best or who has the warmest bed-side manner, but who has the most experience to guide you to the outcome you desire with the fewest problems and the greatest likelihood of success. In short, there is no substitute for solid, experienced team players. I like my doctors, thankfully, but would not be afraid to challenge them if I thought they were dropping the ball on communication/information, either with me or the other team members, and they know it. There is no substitute for self-advocacy and you won't survive without it, period.

Case in point:

My local neurologist and surgeon would like for us consider some new options for dealing with the cyst which they feel is the culprit in my physical weakness lately; if successful, the results would be virtually immediate, but possibly not permanent and not without some degree of risk, as with any surgery. The other, "Advantage," of this would be the possible installation of a catheter for continued drainage and possible future delivery of chemotherapy agents directly to the tumor bed.

The doctor I consider to be my team leader at UCSF is advocating waiting for the end of November and the scheduled MRI results, at which point the edema should subside or even disappear, but possibly not the cyst. We'd go up and see him with the films at that time for a face to face visit and to plot a course from there. He told my oncologist that he did not see the risk/reward payoff in the surgery and that he would not recommend it at this time.

My local oncologist, Gregg Newman, who I consider a friend as well, is on the side of the UCSF team leader, for the simple reason that he deals with probably five cases of this in a week, compared to the five Gregg may see in a year . . . makes sense to him. My radiation therapist is of the same mind; to follow the lead of the most experienced team member. Makes sense to me too and it's what we're going to do.

So it comes down to trusting your team, of which you are the leader. You can't make the decision if you don't have or know the variables, so you need to ask questions and make sure they're answered to your fullest satisfaction and understanding. If you're confident that you have a competent team with a vested interest in your success, i.e., your survival, it makes it a lot easier and lets you sleep better . . . or so I've heard . . . see previous post!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have known Tom for most of my life, and have watched the rollercoaster of life carry him, as it does us all, but Tom forever remains bright, committed to happiness and persistent towards emotional growth. I have and continue to learn a great deal from this great man! T Fanucchi

Unknown said...

Hi Ugly - thank you for your blog and for putting me on your distribution. I think about you all the time but don't want to intrude. Your humor and thoughtful manner in which you execute your own advocacy seems so right to all of us in your cheering section - big fat hug to you and Anne and the girls. Now that you are creating this blog I feel that you've opened the door so I can come by and tease you in person at the homestead. Which I will enjoy doing. You and your girls are being held up in so many hearts you should be motion sick from all the handling and rocking - Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Great work.