December 30, 2007

I wanna get lei'd


I'm tired.  Tired of feeling slow and gimpy.  Tired of no riding.  Tired of waiting for the next treatment and result.  
I know I don't have a choice and that complaining won't make it better, so I booked us into the Outrigger Hotel on the Beach for the girls' Spring Break at the end of March for a shot of medicinal Aloha.  We went last year with our unofficial third daughter, Rachel, and had a great time; we're hoping to take her again as her school break schedule will work with ours. 

I grew up on Oahu and went from first through eighth grade there; it's home to me.  My older brother, Brian, still lives there with his family; his daughter, Megan, is my niece who came down to spend Thanksgiving with us recently. There is just something about that fragrance when I step off the plane and into the freshest air I've ever breathed.  Then there's the water, that warm, clear water.  I remember the look on the girls' face on the first trip we took there with them.  It spoils you, I know it did us because when went in late June for my birthday last year, I didn't even set foot on our local sand, let alone the water when we returned home.   

The girls are to the point now that they can enjoy relaxing around the pool, as long as they can go to the ABC Store later on - and as anybody who has been to Hawaii knows, if you can't find the ABC Store, just turn around.  They love to walk around Waikiki, shop, eat and play tourist; if it makes them happy, it makes me happy.  

Down the street from the hotel is a coffee shop that has the best Breve and best banana bread I've ever had.  In front of the hotel is a long, shallow spit of sandbar that goes all the way out to the surf zone.  Out at the end of the strip is a lump of sand with my name on it . . . and it's calling me.


1 comment:

carpandi said...

In 6 more days...I plan to find that lump of sand with your name on it, with a cup of Breve in one hand and a chunk of that Banana bread in my other...and toast to YOU, my beloved friend. Miss you. Aloha...