December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!


Well, the end to one of the most tumultuous years of our lives is coming tonight, and it can't come soon enough for me.  In the words of my brother, "Do something different to end the year tonight than you did last year, will ya?"   Oh, you mean like, stay up to actually say goodbye to 2007? 
There were certainly more highlights than low, but the lows were REALLY low.  Among the highlights were the fantastic trip we took to Hawaii.  We celebrated my 45th birthday there with my brother and his family and had a great time as an extended family (Rachel).  It was mellow as trips go, with great weather, great food and lots of love.  That patch of sand and surf is calling to me for our March trip.

Another really fun trip was one that my brother and I took to the Tetu Island Lodge in Canada for 4 days of fishing.  What a place.  Everything you could want in a fishing lodge and more without going over the top; see the web address at the end of this post.  Brian and I went as sales rewards from one of the companies we rep for; we both sell commercial and coin-operated laundry equipment and have our own companies.  It was not a trip we ever would've thought  about booking for ourselves, we agreed, but I would definitely return there after the great time we had and I think Brian would as well, which is even more surprising as he wasn't that excited about going in the first place.  the best part about it was that we got to spend some really good time together.  He is ten years older than I am and we are closer now than we've ever been; just in time as it's something we've both been hoping for and now we have the relationship we've always wanted.

My customers were also very good to me this year and I certainly appreciate their loyalty, trust and most of all their patience these last few months.  I will be announcing a new sales/charitable giving policy from my company on January 1, 2008 to benefit cancer-challenged individuals.

I've got to hand it to my girls, Caitlyn and Kelsey.  Through all the trials, fear and uncertainty with my cancer, they remain happy, helpful and certainly the best parts of my day.  Kelsey will get her braces off on Wednesday while I get my next infusion; I'm afraid I'll have to carry my cane again after that, not for me, but to keep the boys away.  Between her smile, her personality and her brains she will be a catch in years to come; fewer than I know.  Caitlyn is well on her way; very self confident, poised and getting prettier every day.  I have no doubts about either of their coming successes in life and look forward to being a part of each.

There are no words to adequately describe my love and respect for Anne.  Suffice it to say she is the most patient, caring and loving person I know.  Her strength is my foundation.  She does not deserve the trials that cancer has put on her between her mother and me, but she bears it with grace and humor.  There is nobody I would rather go through the rest of my life with, in sickness or in health, as the vows go.

To you all I wish a Happy New Year.  May 2008 bring you what you need, what you want and some extra rewards along the way.  I've certainly appreciated your feedback on this blog and look forward to more of the same next year.  More than that I've appreciated your love and support for all of us; I guarantee it's benefits to us and return it to you ten-fold.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Tetu Island Lodge http://www.tetuislandlodge.com



No comments: