December 10, 2007

Okay, let's go!

We heard back from UCSF today and while the news was not what I had hoped for, we at least now have a plan and can move forward. It is Dr. Butowski's opinion that the majority of growth is actually tumor, and not cystic, so it is not advisable to surgically disturb the area, potentially causing more harm than good. I will be starting Avastin and CPT-11 therapy as soon tomorrow as long as we can get the insurance approval. Judging by Blue Cross' past outstanding (truly)performance in similar situations, I'm reasonably confident that we'll be in good shape.

For more information on the treatment please read:

http://www.cancer.duke.edu/btc/modules/news/article.php?storyid=45

http://dfw-neuronetwork.com/Avastin_and_CPT-11.htm

I am encouraged by both of these articles and others I've read, as well as by what Dr. B had to say about the treatment. I've always said that there is no point in pursuing a course of treatment, Western or Eastern, unless you believe that it will work. Anne and I both believe after what we've read and talked about, that this is the best course to follow at this point, so bring it on.

Stay tuned.

No comments: