December 21, 2007

Small victories . . .

Well, there's no wondering about it today; before I knew it I was up and out of bed, slippers on in 30 seconds (as opposed to needing a shower after the struggle) . . . at 5:22. Halfway down the hall towards the kitchen I realized that I was walking without my trekking pole (it's not a cane!).  Perhaps it felt so natural and didn't occur to me because each day I wake up and assume/visualize that I will stride normally down the hall normally.  Today I almost did.  Just the fact that I slept solid until 4:30am and then went back to sleep until 5:00 is huge . . . though probably not to the average reader. 

My friends, Rick, Kate and Randy, among others, are more than a little emotional as they read, though, because they know exactly what I mean when we talk about the importance of celebrating the small victories and the boost they can give.  I'm very encouraged by this and it in turn will motivate me to move forward in my rehab, both at home and at the Institute formally.

This is going to be a great day . . . there really are no "small" victories, after all.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Tom,

This is your new neighbor speaking. It's been quiet over on your side of the 'fence' every time I pull into the driveway. I miss seeing your smiling face.

I know you are fighting right now, fighting to come home, healthy and strong. We are thinking about you and our prayers are with you and your family.

I'll see you again soon, sitting in your office, ready with a witty quip.

All our love -
Mary, Eric and Evan Gregg